Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rachel's love for longboarding, part 2

Yesterday I showed you Rachel's workshop and told you how she's been building longboards. I included a video of some guys on the Ceviche longboard.

Today I have to show you the Whirling Dervish longboard. This is what got Rachel totally hooked on the sport - and the art of building these boards.

I want to mention that I talked about her building presses to create the concave and camber curves in the wood when she glues the layers of wood together. You can see at the beginning of this video that the board with the green wheels has an arching curve down the length of the board. This is the camber and it gives the rider some flex and turn control when riding the board.

Hope you enjoy the video. It's amazing how much their skating looks like an art form or some kind of modern dance. Oh - and they're not falling off. They're sliding - they wear special gloves to protect their hands and reduce friction on the pavement. That's part of the sport/art of longboarding.



1 comment:

  1. I agree. It's like some sort of modern dance. I'm loving the one footed turns. very cool

    ReplyDelete