Tuesday, March 30, 2010

2100 miles: a class, a crash, and some drive-by shooting

Last weekend my Dad and I took a little road trip... driving from Salem, Oregon to Palm Springs, California, then back home again. (We went down to Calif to attend a class.)

The whole trip was awesome. The drive down and back was not as bad as I thought it would be, and the scenery was incredible. We did do some drive-by shooting, with the camera of course, and so some of the pictures are 75mph blurry, but I'll share them here later.

Have you ever driven in the greater Los Angeles area? Holy cow, I didn't realize the 75-80mph white knuckle driving for 2+ hrs nonstop to get from one side of LA to the other would be so exhausting...

We did have some excitement, too. Heading home we were leaving the LA area and heading up I-5 toward the Grapevine at about 10:30pm when traffic suddenly came to a dead stop. Up and over a hill at 75mph and everyone ahead of us slammed on their brakes. Dad was driving and we managed to skid to a stop without being rear-ended. All I could do was mutter, "Oh crap."

The right lane was blocked by a Toyota that was sideways across the entire lane. There was heavy dmg to the front passenger side and the driver was still in his vehicle. The accident had just happened, too - no flashers, nothing. I could smell smoke from the engine of the Toyota. There was another bigger vehicle down on the exit ramp below with the entire rear pushed in.

I asked my Dad, "Should we call 911?"

"Nah, someone else probably did already."

"I bet that's what everyone says. I'm calling."

So I called and it seemed that this was new news to the dispatcher.

Today I was curious about the crash and Googled it. Here's the rest of the story: http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/26658/ <http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/26658/>

No comments:

Post a Comment