Thursday, May 21, 2009

Calorie-free brownies? Really??

The ceramic paint pens I sell with Pass It On Plates have a variety of uses.
Have you tried one yet?

A recent pot luck dinner dilemma had me wondering if I would ever see my shiny new cake pan after the party. No prob. I whipped out a few of these special paint pens and went to work on the cake pan. Not only is it distinctly mine, it's prettier, too.

The paint pens are designed to be used on ceramic plates, ceramic tiles, and other dishes, but since they become permanent and food safe in the oven, I figured what the heck and tried them on the metal cake pan.

Using the two green colors and dots in pearly white, I drew leaves and vines on one side.

Originally uploaded by passitonplates

Then I took the pearly white color and wrote a little message on one end. It's only visible when the light hits it right. I wanted this to be a funny surprise when noticed.

Funny thing now, this is the end that people always start to cut from.

(I had to take a little cut, myself. For quality control purposes, of course.)


Originally uploaded by passitonplates

Last, make no mistake, this is my cake pan. More importantly, the extra big name says "Pam Hawk MADE THIS FOOD."

People trust my cooking. I don't know why;
when it comes to practical jokes they don't trust me...


Cake pan name side
Originally uploaded by passitonplates

The instructions on the pen say to bake it in the oven at 300F for 30 minutes. I cheated and baked it at 350F for about 20 minutes. The cake brownies were in the pan and I didn't want to mess them up. (Yeah, this was a last minute project thought up at the last minute while I was making the brownies.) I don't recommend cheating, but I figured the retained heat in the pan would continue cooking the pen for a little while longer. Everything stayed intact through the dishwasher, so that's a good sign. The pan's been washed about 4 times since I did this so I'd say it's definitely dishwasher safe.

Do you want one of these pens? They're available here in my Etsy shop.

The brownies are made from scratch. I'll have to post the recipe for you soon. They're pretty darn easy and really good.
Cakey. Yum.




1 comment:

  1. Cute, that’s my kid!


    But, I bet my recipe for brownies is better’n yers.

    ReplyDelete